Thursday, September 25, 2008

hole-y shoes

There is an interesting article in the NY Times about skateboarders and their shoes. My favorite part of the article is when Mike Valley talkes about a skateboarder looking down at his feet, he says, "they need to feel a vibe there". The article goes on to say:

"Ultimately, it can be counterproductive to give one feature more importance than another. If the shoe is just amazing to look at, it is probably not going to hold up in performance.

But if it is made to stand up to aggressive wear and tear, it might also look something like Fort Knox.

And who wants to wear a fortress — particularly while trying to catch that special vibe while floating through the air?"


My husband grew up skateboarding with his friends in Alamo, CA. He used to spend his paper-route money on new shoes, which he ordered COD from Skates on Haight. His buddies would take Bart into SF to skate along the bay, and get a free lunch at their dad's offices. I've seen the videos at his parents house.

2 comments:

jessie said...

I'll have to find the article for Justin to read! LOL! I love skaters which is probably why I dress the boys like them..:) Hoping they'll follow in Daddy's footsteps! Justin's had them on the board with him since they were newbies.. he still rides almost every weekend and they love to watch him and ride along! (Though I admit that it scares me a little when he's holding them and going a million miles an hour down a hill..:) Hopefully Jim is still finding time to hit the pavement, too.. Your future children will need him to be in top form to teach them all the tricks! :)

kell-bell said...

I linked to it in my post. You'll have to see what he thinks.