This painting is my inspiration, I found during my week visiting my parents in Phoenix while going through one of my old boxes. I love the way it captures the feeling of the desert, the light and immense sky. I want to paint something similar, but on a much larger scale to go above our couch.
Here's a sketch of the rest of the room, as it appears in my imagination.
I think this indoor/outdoor fabric Jenny mentioned on her blog would be great for curtains & would compliment the colors in the painting.
Pillows in this pattern in one of these two colors.
Finally, on the wall opposite the windows I really want to put up a collection of old family photos, parents, grandparents, this is one of my favorites, my mom in Iran.Well, that's my idea for the time being. I would love to hear what anyone thinks. I am considering hiring a designer for help, but only hesitate because I have such a small budget that I'm afraid if I do that, I won't have anything left at the end for the actual decorating.
6 comments:
I think those ideas are AMAZING! Have you considered painting the walls a dark smoky blue to match the painting. We have our living room a really great color and I love the darkness to it, especially when it's broken up with pictures and curtains and stuff. I love seeing what your up to in Cali. Looks like fun!
Loved your post! I have lots of nights when I have a racing mind because there is so much to do or think about. And I can totally relate to living in a house for a chunk of time and realizing that you have barely made a dent in its decorating/rearranging... poor Ben is always subject to my neverending list of ideas for our house, all of which tend to be just slightly out of our budget (or what he thinks we should spend on house stuff, at least).
Anyway, I love your ideas! Your sketch of the layout is great, and the fabrics are fun. I love the calico corners bird fabric and almost ordered some to cover benches in our living room, but when I brought the sample home realized it didn't quite match with the space. But I LOVE it.
You'll have to post before/after pics when it's all done! Good luck. I'd like to hire a decorator too, but I sometimes worry his/her ideas might be bigger than we can spend at this time. hmmmmmm. it's very tempting though.
Wow - your mom in Iran?! What a cool photo. Why was she there? It sounds like you have some cool family stories.
Are you kidding me you don't need to hire a designer, your doing great your self. I love it, you have an eye for design silly, just go to work-It will turn out fabulous! Love ya Britt
Kell I love that you are talented enough to draw a sketch of what you want and actually execute it. I agree--I think your ideas are great, I don't think you need design help. Your post actually made me feel better because I've been feeling the same way about Colette's room--got it painted before she was born but not a lot else has happened! Miss you!!
P.S. When was your mom in Iran? And for how long?
So in answer to all your questions...my mom lived in Iran when she was a little girl. Her dad took a teaching job out there for a few years.
Post a Comment