Wednesday, March 09, 2011

easy no-knead bread


We just spent the last weekend baking and perfecting the now famous recipe from the minimalist at NYT, the no-knead bread. The recipe is super simple, but we still had to make it one or two times to get the hang of it. Now that I understand it, we're making it almost daily, and Jim is sick of hearing me talk about bread! But here's why I love it, it reminds me of Julia Child. In the middle of her book, "My Life in France" she talks about her struggles to help the home baker make a moist, crusty loaf of bread in a regular oven. She basically spent two years perfecting her recipe, recommending things like asbestos bricks and quarry tiles to get a steamy oven. This recipe solves it! Don't fuss over the dough and toss it in a pot with a lid, so simple!! Anyways, try it, you'll be hooked like me.

8 comments:

Kim & Clay said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing. Do you think it would work with wheat flour? Hmm.

Hilary said...

I bet you'd need more fat if you used whole wheat... or something.
I'm excited to try it Kelly!

Anonymous said...

You should get the book Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a day. Tons of fabulous no knead recipes (all with whole wheat flour). so easy to make bread for a week.

Alice said...

I just found out you have a blog. Um, I'm dying that it's called Kim and Jelly. You crack me up.

Plus I love this bread. Make it all the time:)

Taryn said...

emily was just telling me brooke made some amazing bread...was this the recipe she used? i'll have to try it. i think it's a good excuse to buy a colorful pot! :)

Train Gang said...

ah! I call this dutch oven bread and I became very obsessed when I discovered it too! I have to admit that my family got sick of it cause I made it too much. But its so awesome!! worth the obsession.

Anonymous said...

yum going to try it thanks!

Maggie said...

nyt also has a similar recipe for speedy no knead bread that takes more like 4 hrs. I love this recipe.